New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Can I charge GitHub for using my code in Copilot?

Ask HN: Can I charge GitHub for using my code in Copilot?
23 by ingvul | 12 comments on Hacker News.
Since Copilot is regurgitating licensed code without attribution, I pondering many options: 1. sue GitHub (they will probably win since they can afford the best lawyers in the planet) 2. don't use GitHub for future projects. Remove all my current repositories (does this guarantee GitHub can't use my code without attribution? My code is probably still in their Code Vault) 3. use GitHub but use a license that explicitly denies usage of my code by Copilot (GitHub probably would probably just say "you can't do that, please just delete your account") 4. use GitHub but ask them to pay me for using my code without attribution Option 1 is a waste of money and time for me (I will never win). Option 2 is fine, but I'm not sure what could stop GitHub scrapping public repos hosted in, let's say, GitLab. Option 3 would be the ideal case for me. Option 4: would be nice, but probably won't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment